Court Mandated Service Application Adult

Please read this section entirely before submitting your application:

  • For applicants 18 years old and over.
  • Court mandated service hours can be completed with the City of Sugar Land at the Animal Shelter only. Duties include mainly cat and dog kennel cleaning. 
  • Once we process your application we will contact you to schedule your shifts. 
  •  Upon successful completion of your hours, this office will provide any documentation necessary to validate your hours. 


In order to have a complete application you must complete the following:

  • The application form below (please fill out all the fields)
  • A background check (instructions found at the bottom of the application)


If you have any questions, please contact us at:

NOTE: User ID below must be the email address you will be using to receive emails and updates from the volunteer office.

Court Mandated Service Volunteer Contact Information
Emergency Contact Information
Employment/ Student
Volunteer Agreement

By submitting my application I:

(1) Certify that I am furnishing this information for use in determining my qualifications as a volunteer;

(2) Understand that the Texas Public Information Act may require the City to disclose any information I provide;

(3) Certify that any information given by me is true, correct and complete;

(4) Understand and agree that any false information, misrepresentation, or concealment of facts is sufficient grounds to disqualify me from volunteering and, as a volunteer, for my immediate discharge without recourse from the City of Sugar Land's Volunteer Program-Serve Sugar Land; and

(5) May be subject to a "for cause" substance abuse screening at any point in time while I am a volunteer for the City.

A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Para informacion en espanol, visite o escribe a la FTC Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A 600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of information in the files of consumer reporting agencies. There are many types of consumer reporting agencies, including credit bureaus and specialty agencies (such as agencies that sell information about check writing histories, medical records, and rental history records). Here is a summary of your major rights under the FCRA. For more information, including information about additional rights, visite go to or write to: Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

  • You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses a credit report or another type of consumer report to deny your application for credit, insurance, or employment - or to take another adverse action against you - must tell you, and must give you the name, address, and phone number of the agency that provided the information.
  • You have the right to know what is in your file. You may request and obtain all the information about you in the files of a consumer reporting agency (your "file disclosure"). You will be required to provide proper identification, which may include your Social Security number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free. You are entitled to a free file disclosure if:
    • a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in your credit report;
    • you are the victim of identity theft and place a fraud alert in your file;
    • your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud;
    • you are on public assistance;
    • You are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days.In addition, by September 2005 all consumers will be entitled to one free disclosure every 12months upon request from each nationwide credit bureau and from nationwide specialty consumer reporting agencies. See for additional information.
      • You have the right to ask for a credit score. Credit scores are numerical summaries of your credit-worthiness based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score from consumer reporting agencies that create scores or distribute scores used in residential real property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage transactions, you will receive credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.
      • You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See for an explanation of dispute procedures.
      • Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, a consumer reporting agency may continue to report information it has verified as accurate.
      • Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information. In most cases, a consumer reporting agency may not report negative information that is more than seven years old, or bankruptcies that are more than 10 years old.
      • Access to your file is limited. A consumer reporting agency may provide information about you only to people with a valid need -- usually to consider an application with a creditor, insurer, employer, landlord, or other business. The FCRA specifies those with a valid need for access.
      • You must give your consent for reports to be provided to employers. A consumer reporting agency may not give out information about you to your employer, or a potential employer, without your written consent given to the employer. Written consent generally is not required in the trucking industry. For more information, go to .
      • You may limit "prescreened" offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report. Unsolicited "prescreened" offers for credit and insurance must include a toll-free phone number you can call if you choose to remove your name and address from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the nationwide credit bureaus at 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).
      • You may seek damages from violators. If a consumer reporting agency, or, in some cases, a user of consumer reports or a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency violates the FCRA, you may be able to sue in state or federal court.
      • Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have additional rights. For more information, visit .

      • States may enforce the FCRA, and many states have their own consumer reporting laws. In some cases, you may have more rights under state law. For more information, contact your state or local consumer protection agency or your state Attorney General. Federal enforcers are Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Response Center - FCRA, Washington, DC 20580, 1-877-382-4357

After clicking Submit you will be directed to the SterlingVolunteers website where you will need to complete the background check application.

You MUST complete the background check application for your Court Mandated Service application to be considered.
  • The background check results may take several days to be returned. 
  • There is no charge to you for this background check. Please do not process if there is a request for payment. If a GOOD DEED code is requested please use 9loeywq. 


As a condition of volunteering, applicants will undergo a background investigation to ensure that the City does not place an applicant in a position that may create liability for the City. Similar to an applicant for employment, a volunteer applicant will not be disqualified from a volunteer position merely by having a criminal conviction. The nature of the offense, how much time has passed, and the volunteer position will be taken into consideration.

Generally, an applicant will be disqualified if a crime involving moral turpitude (i.e. murder, voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping, robbery, crimes of violence, money laundering, theft, fraud, child pornography, human and drug trafficking, burglary, forgery, arson, larceny, embezzlement, bribery, counterfeiting, etc.) has been committed. The City is responsible for evaluating all applicant background information as it is too many to list on an application.

Phone 281-275-2329