Volunteer Intern Application
In order to have a complete application, please fill out the application below in its entirety:
New Volunteers must also complete a background check (instructions found at the bottom of the application).
Note: User ID below, must be the email address you will be using to receive emails and updates from the volunteer office.
By submitting my application I:
(1) Certify that I am furnishing this information for use in determining my qualifications as a volunteer;
(2) Understand that the Texas Public Information Act may require the City to disclose any information I provide;
(3) Certify that any information given by me is true, correct and complete. Should any information change including, but not limited to, my criminal convictions, I agree to provide the City, within 10 days, the updated information.
(4) Understand and agree that any false information, misrepresentation, or concealment of facts is sufficient grounds to disqualify me from volunteering and, as a volunteer, for my immediate discharge without recourse from the City of Sugar Land's Volunteer Program-Serve Sugar Land.
(5) May be subject to a "for cause" substance abuse screening at any point in time while I am a volunteer for the City.
(6) Certifiy that I am fit to perform volunteering activities or responsibilities independently and safely without assistance from City staff, or I will have an accompanied adult volunteer/aide to assist me with the assigned tasks or activities. I agree to perform all volunteer duties in a professional manner and will not interfere with City Staff performance of their job duties.
(7) Understand and acknowledge that during my volunteer services I may become privy to private or confidential information and agree to hold all such information in the strictest confidence and will not disclose or discuss such private or confidential information with any third party.
(8) Agree to adhere to: (a) the assigned schedules; (b) all federal, state, and local laws policies, procedures, regulations, and rules; (c) instructions or guidance provided by City Staff, and (d) stay out of restricted areas. If I am unable to attend a volunteer shift, I agree to provide the City with at least a 24-hour advance notice. If 24-hour notice is not given 3 or more times, I understand that my volunteer status may be effected or revoked.
(9) Understand and agree that this application does not constitute a contract to volunteer for any definite duration. The length of time depends upon the quality of the job that I do as a volunteer and the needs of the City.
(10) Understand that behavior of animals is sometimes unpredictable and same animals are capable of spreading disease, inflicting serious personal injury, death, or extensive property damage. I agree to report all injuries, scratches, bites, and damages immediately to the City or before the end of the day, shift, or event in which the injury of damages occured.
(11) Understand that my volunteer activities may place me in a hazardous situation and could result in injury or damage to me or my personal property. I agree to comply with all laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures pertaining to Workers' Compensation and reporting requirements. All injuries and damages must be reported to the City immediately or before the end of the day, shift, or event in which the injury or damages occured.
(12) Understand and agree that volunteering is a privilege, not a right, and the City of Sugar Land reserves the right to terminate my volunteering services or revoke my volunteer status at any time, with or without cause or notice to me.
(13) Understand and agree that as a volunteer, I am not an employee, partner, agent, representative or contractor of the City under federal, state, and/or local law or regulations. I understand and agree that as a volunteer I am not entitled to: (a) wages or employment benefits; (b) payment or compensation for my time or services; or (c) expect future employment with the City of Sugar Land. I understand that I am free to resign at any time provided that I give the City at least five days notice if I am scheduled to work. I agree to immediately return or surrender all City properties issued to me or in my possession, including, but not limited to, identification badge, if applicable.
(14) Understand that during my volunteer activities or related activities, I may be recorded, photographed or videotaped. I agree to allow any record, including, but not limited to, photographs, videos and films, of my likeness to be used by the City at any time and for any purpose.
(15) RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
IN CONSIDERATION OF MY ACCEPTANCE INTO THE CITY OF SUGAR LAND VOLUNTEER PROGRAM, SERVE SUGAR LAND ("VOLUNTEER PROGRAM") LISTED ON THE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION AND ENTRY INTO AND USE OF ANY CITY OF SUGAR LAND'S FACILITIES OR EQUIPMENT AS PART OF THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM, I HEREBY WAIVE, RELEASE, FOREVER DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE THE CITY OF SUGAR LAND, ITS CITY COUNCIL OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, SUBCONTRACTORS, AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY HEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS "CITY"), IN BOTH THEIR INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES, FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LIABILITIES, AND CAUSES OF ACTIONS OR SUIT OF ANY KIND OR CHARACTER, PRESENT AND FUTURE, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ON BEHALF OF MYSELF, MY PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVES, ESTATE, ASSIGNS, HEIRS, ADMINISTRATORS, AND NEXT OF KIN FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED, DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR PROPERTY DAMAGES ARISING OUT, RELATE TO, OR AS A RESULT OF MY PARTICIPATION IN THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM OR VOLUNTEERING SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES FOR THE CITY WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, CARLESSNESS, OR ACTS OF OMISSIONS OF THE CITY.
I AM AWARE THAT THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM MAY SUBJECT ME TO PHYSICAL RISKS OF HARM AND DANGERS. NEVERTHELESS, I VOLUNTARILY AGREE TO ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISKS OF HARM, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, AND DAMAGES TO PROPERTY.
It is understood and agreed that this waiver, release, and assumption of risk is to be binding on my heirs, next of kin, estate, administrators, executors, personal representatives, relatives, spouse and assigns and is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the laws of the State of Texas and that if any portion of this agreement is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, not withstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
(16) INDEMNIFICATION: I AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS AND DEFEND, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE CITY OF SUGAR LAND, ITS CITY COUNCIL, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, ADMINISTRATORS, INSURERS, SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS, CONTRACTORS, AND SUBCONTRACTORS (COLLECTIVELY HEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS "CITY"), IN THEIR INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES, FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL DEMANDS, CLAIMS, LIABILITES, SUITS, CAUSES OF ACTION, JUDGMENTS, DAMAGES, LOSSES, PENALTIES, AND/OR EXPENSES OF ANY KIND OF NATURE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ATTORNEYS' FEES, AWARDS, COMPENSATION, COSTS, DAMAGES, EXPENSES, JUDGMENTS, LIABILITIES, REIMBURSEMENT, AND SUITS ARISE OR MAY ARISE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM OR RESULTING, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM MY PARTICIPATION IN THE CITY OF SUGAR LAND VOLUNTEER PROGRAM OR FROM MY PERFORMANCE AS A VOLUNTEER IN THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM HEREUNDER, HOWEVER CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF ANY ACTIONS OF OMISSIONS OF THE CITY.
(17). Understand and acknowledge that in the event any action is brought against the City, its City Council, employees, officers, agents, representatives, constractors, or subcontractors, in either their individual or official capacities, collectively or individually, that a presentation of this document will constitute a complete and affirmative defense to said claim, and that the court of competent jurisdiction may dismiss said claim with prejudice.
(18) Understand that the confidentiality, release of liablity, and indemnification provisions will survive the expiration or termination of my volunteer activities or services.
(19) Represent and warrant that I have carefully read and fully understand the content of this application and seek to volunteer under these conditions.
After clicking SUBMIT you will be directed to the Verified Volunteers website. If you are a new volunteer, please complete the background check application.