Applications are now being accepted for the Spring 2020 Citizens Police Academy. The deadline to apply is Dec 23, 2019 at 11:59PM. The Academy will begin on Feb. 6, 2020.
In order to be considered for the academy, the applicant must:
- Be a current resident of Sugar Land, the extra territorial jurisdiction, or have an employment address within the incorporated city limits of Sugar Land.
- Submit a completed application
- Provide a copy of their drivers license
- Provide a copy of valid automobile liability insurance (upon admission to class)
- Have no criminal history containing a class B misdemeanor or above in the previous 5 years from the date of application
- Have no felony convictions regardless of time period
As a Serve Sugar Land volunteer you are already in the system, to apply for the Citizen's Police Academy simply log onto the volunteer site https://volunteer.sugarlandtx.gov .
Once logged in you will see in the banner the option for "Get Involved". Please click this and it will bring up options to select. You can select the Citizens Police Academy application to complete.
The academy will meet weekly (usually on Thursdays) starting on Feb 6, 2020. There are a few Saturday classes as well, but these are optional and do not count towards attendance.
If your friends or neighbors are interested they may go to the same website but will start the process by clicking on the "Get Involved" tab at the top of the page (without logging in), and they will have the option to select the application entitled "Citizens Police Academy." As always if you have any questions please let me know.
Community Engagement Coordinator
City of Sugar Land