Boards and Commissions

Application and Information Statement

As an applicant for a City Board or Commission your name, address and telephone number will be available under the provisions of the Public Information Act. All other information will remain confidential. Applications will remain active for consideration of positions for a period of one year. All members of boards and commissions serve one-year terms.

All applicants must submit a personal resume. You may email to or fax to 281-275-2318 or mail/deliver to City of Sugar Land, Volunteer Program, 2700 Town Center Blvd N, Sugar Land, TX 77479

Applications will be accepted up to 5:00pm, August 23, 2017. City Council will review all applications. From the applicant pool, City Council will select nominees for further consideration. 

This serves as the application for the following Boards and Commissions:
Animal Advisory Board
Animal Control Board
Building Standards Commission
Independent Ethics Board
Parks and Recreation Policy Advisory Board
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Sugar Land 4B Corporation
Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone One
Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Three
Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Four

Please take time to review the description of each Board or Commission you are interested in applying for to review the responsibilities and time commitment required for each. You may access detailed information on each board by visiting the City of Sugar Land's webpage linked here.


The City of Sugar Land Policy 3000-09 establishes certain qualifications that must be met by all members of City Boards and Commissions. In addition to any specific qualifications for service on a particular board, a board member must:

-Be a resident of the City of Sugar Land prior to the date of appointment.

-Be a qualified City of Sugar Land voter at the time of appointment.

-Have a creditable record of attendance and participating performance.

-Maintain an open mind to all issues under consideration.

-Have the ability to listen, learn and discuss issues.

-Have the ability to make decisions based on information gathered and discussed and for the betterment of the City as seen through the Vision Statement and Comprehensive Plan.

-Have the ability to see and understand the City's long -term objectives and short-term benefits.

-Conflicts of interest and special interests, which may not represent the betterment of the City, must remain separate from decisions made.

Please complete the application below to apply for a Boards and Commissions position.

New User Details
Boards and Commissions Application
The below questions are asked because the City Council desires to manage the appointment process to ensure the appointment of qualified individuals representing a cross-section of gender, diversity, and geographical representation of the community at large.
Emergency Contact Information
(Please leave blank if not applicable)
Employment / Student-Please complete one of the following;
Do you or your spouse, either individually or through your employers, have any financial interest directly or indirectly, in any contract or subcontract with the city or in the sale to the city of, materials, supplies or services? Please mark not applicable if this does not apply to you.
Skills and Experience
What civic or community endeavors have you been involved in? Please list name of organization, position held, date of service and whether your service was provided on a compensated or voluntary basis.
Have you been a past member of a City of Sugar Land Board, Commission or Task Force? Please list area(s) of service and approximate dates or note this does not apply.
Please indicate how much time you believe you would be able to commit to a board or commission caseload and review of caseload documentation.
Please describe an example of a time when you had to listen, learn and maintain an open mind to all issues under consideration before you made a final decision.
The actions of quasi-judicial boards are bound by legal limitations. Please describe why you believe adherences to the standards are important.
Please respond to the following questions only if you are interested in a position on one of
these specific boards or commissions.
The Planning and Zoning Commission when considering land use cases must often make recommendations in the face of opposition either from citizens or from a developer. Please describe the approach you would take to assist the City Council to make a decision that will benefit the City.
What experience do you have in building construction and property maintenance?
References- Please provide two.
Have you participated in any of the following City of Sugar Land Academies or Trainings?
Volunteer Agreement

By submitting my application I:

(1) Certify that I am furnishing this information for use in determining my qualifications as a volunteer;

(2) Understand that the Texas Public Information Act may require the City to disclose any information I provide;

(3) Certify that any information given by me is true, correct and complete;

(4) Understand and agree that any false information, misrepresentation, or concealment of facts is sufficient grounds to disqualify me from volunteering and, as a volunteer, for my immediate discharge without recourse from the City of Sugar Land's Volunteer Program-Serve Sugar Land; and

(5) May be subject to a "for cause" substance abuse screening at any point in time while I am a volunteer for the City.

A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Para informacion en espanol, visite o escribe a la FTC Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A 600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of information in the files of consumer reporting agencies. There are many types of consumer reporting agencies, including credit bureaus and specialty agencies (such as agencies that sell information about check writing histories, medical records, and rental history records). Here is a summary of your major rights under the FCRA. For more information, including information about additional rights, visite go to or write to: Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

< ul style="list-style-type:disc">
  • You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses a credit report or another type of consumer report to deny your application for credit, insurance, or employment - or to take another adverse action against you - must tell you, and must give you the name, address, and phone number of the agency that provided the information.
  • You have the right to know what is in your file. You may request and obtain all the information about you in the files of a consumer reporting agency (your "file disclosure"). You will be required to provide proper identification, which may include your Social Security number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free. You are entitled to a free file disclosure if:
  • < ul style="list-style-type:circle">
  • a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in your credit report;
  • you are the victim of identity theft and place a fraud alert in your file;
  • your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud;
  • you are on public assistance;
  • You are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days.In addition, by September 2005 all consumers will be entitled to one free disclosure every 12months upon request from each nationwide credit bureau and from nationwide specialty consumer reporting agencies. See for additional information.
  • < ul style="list-style-type:disc">
  • You have the right to ask for a credit score. Credit scores are numerical summaries of your credit-worthiness based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score from consumer reporting agencies that create scores or distribute scores used in residential real property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage transactions, you will receive credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.
  • You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See for an explanation of dispute procedures.
  • Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, a consumer reporting agency may continue to report information it has verified as accurate.
  • Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information. In most cases, a consumer reporting agency may not report negative information that is more than seven years old, or bankruptcies that are more than 10 years old.
  • Access to your file is limited. A consumer reporting agency may provide information about you only to people with a valid need -- usually to consider an application with a creditor, insurer, employer, landlord, or other business. The FCRA specifies those with a valid need for access.
  • You must give your consent for reports to be provided to employers. A consumer reporting agency may not give out information about you to your employer, or a potential employer, without your written consent given to the employer. Written consent generally is not required in the trucking industry. For more information, go to .
  • You may limit "prescreened" offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report. Unsolicited "prescreened" offers for credit and insurance must include a toll-free phone number you can call if you choose to remove your name and address from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the nationwide credit bureaus at 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).
  • You may seek damages from violators. If a consumer reporting agency, or, in some cases, a user of consumer reports or a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency violates the FCRA, you may be able to sue in state or federal court.
  • Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have additional rights. For more information, visit .

  • States may enforce the FCRA, and many states have their own consumer reporting laws. In some cases, you may have more rights under state law. For more information, contact your state or local consumer protection agency or your state Attorney General. Federal enforcers are Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Response Center - FCRA, Washington, DC 20580, 1-877-382-4357

    Please click the submit button below once you have completed the application. Thank you.